Re: Use text mode (was: Newbie

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Stoppard wrote:

> ... i would probably like to try mandrake with
> sighted assistance for install,

Smarter to go with a more mainstream distro, with
a financially stable company behind it, such as
Red Hat (Fedora now) or a Debian variant.  Be sure
you get a current version of whatever you install.
Download all the updates for it as soon as you are
done with the initial install, and consider using
one of the sites that use apt-get (in the case of
RedHat/Fedora) for updates, to make this and other
add-ons easy (apt-get originated with Debian).

> and then try and use GNU Capernicus.

Why (assuming you are really referring to
Gnopernicus)?  Newbies are setting themselves up
for frustration if they dabble in development
stuff.  Better to wait for a stable version --
good enough that the larger distributors
conveniently package it for you on the standard
install media; and in this case, you wouldn't care
till plenty of application packages work well with
it.  Leave the bleeding edge stuff for experienced
users for now (and many of us don't care much yet
either): you won't have to wait long, as open
source stuff matures quickly.

> Unfortunatly i don't have much hard drive space,
> only about two point five to three gigabites

A text only install would fit fine in that space,
with room left over.

> Part of the reason i want to try Linux is
> because i am becomeing slightly disoluioned with
> the price that it will cost me to use windows
> and screen reader software, which i can not
> afford.

Outstanding text mode functionality is a better
reason (no one ever learns to use all the text
stuff that is available fully -- not that any one
person needs to).  And freedom (from lockin, to
copy, change, etc), is also more important than
price, though price is certainly an important
advantage.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is
award winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds
your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html