Re: this isn't about your website

Hi Ivan,

Sorry for the late reply,

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Ivan Fetch wrote:

>    Good point on both counts - the console-based screen reader should be
> able to be silent when in an X-based "console" (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F7 under
> linux, although we wouldn't rely on that specific console being used as
> you can have multiple X displays).  I like the scripting idea as well.

A console screen reader might not get any input anyway if X is active,
aside from possible error messages sent to stderr.  But then you might
have to make sure it isn't intercepting keys if you're doing that at the
kernel level.  It is best for the user to have control over as much as
possible.  (I usually have yasr running on multiple consoles and often
want it to speak even if the console is not active; if I am running a chat
program for instance.  I can always press alt-x if I want it to be
silent.)

Scripting could definitely be useful.

>    I was also thinking of an interface to define key maps for the screen
> reader more interactively (analogus to Jaws for Windows' keyboard
> manager).

yasr has some support for this, although I don't think I've ever used the
keyboard manager in JFW, so I'm not sure how they compare.  Yasr's support
isn't optimal, though, and there are a lot of keys or key combinations
which are impossible to enter because they do not generate output (at
least not with the keymap I am using) and yasr does not attempt to get raw
keyboard data.  (Even if I did get it, I wouldn't know how to translate it
for the application.)

-Mike G-