Re: creating a bootable cd

ok this might be a bit kludgy but, try something like the following.
this worked with a slackware cd I have here.

1. copy the entire contents of the cd to yer hdd on linux.

2. add the appropriate images and configuration changes to the isolinux
directory and the isolinux.cfg file respectively.
3. issue a command like this.
mkisofs -o /tmp/debian.iso -R -V "Debian Install" -v -d -D -N
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b
isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -A "Debian 3.0r0 i386 Install
CD" .

I'm assuming of course, you're in the top of the newly created directory
tree you've created
e.g. debian
issue that command above and then when it's done copy the debian.iso
file from /tmp to your hdd and move it across to the windows machine and
burn until you're heart's content.
it should work.
if not use an eltorito boot image.
hth

at
the risk of being helpful, John covici delivered up the following on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:14:09PM -0500,
> You need to have what would be a floppy disk image -- I can tell you
> how to create it on gnu/Linux, but not on windows.  The image can be
> a 1.44m equivalent, or a 2.88m equivalent.  In gnu/Linux, you would
> create an empty file of the correct size using dd, and create a dos
> file system on it using dosfsck and mount it using the loopback
> device.  Now there are many things you can do after that -- using
> syslinux, lilo or whatever you need and run those using your floppy
> image and tell your Windows program where that image is and it will
> be copied to the beginning of your cd.
>
> This is an overview, for details consult the appropriate man pages.
>
> on Wednesday 10/29/2003 Tom Masterson(kd7cyu@xxxxxxxxx) wrote
>  > Hi
>  > I sent the following to the Debian lists but since they are renowned for not answering I will ask this here as well.
>  >
>  > I am trying to set up a cdrom install which comes up with brltty running.  I think I have figured out what to do to do this but I can't figure out how to
>  > make a bootable cd.  I have to use a windows machine to create the cd as my linux machine doesn't have a cd-writer on it and when I go to create a bootable
>  > cd the program (roxio) asks me what type of emulation too use and what boot iamge to use.  THe emulation choices are: floppy (a.44 or 2.88), hard disk,
>  > and no emulation.  I have too tell it where to find a boot image.
>  > Any help would be most appreciated.
>  > Thanks
>  > Tom Masterson<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>  > <HTML><HEAD>
>  > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
>  > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=GENERATOR>
>  > <STYLE></STYLE>
>  > </HEAD>
>  > <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
>  > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi</FONT></DIV>
>  > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I sent the following to the Debian lists but since
>  > they are renowned for not answering I will ask this here as well.</FONT></DIV>
>  > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>I am trying to set up a cdrom install which
>  > comes up with brltty running.&nbsp; I think I have figured out what to do to do
>  > this but I can't figure out how to<BR>make a bootable cd.&nbsp; I have to use a
>  > windows machine to create the cd as my linux machine doesn't have a cd-writer on
>  > it and when I go to create a bootable<BR>cd the program (roxio) asks me what
>  > type of emulation too use and what boot iamge to use.&nbsp; THe emulation
>  > choices are: floppy (a.44 or 2.88), hard disk,<BR>and no emulation.&nbsp; I have
>  > too tell it where to find a boot image.<BR>Any help would be most
>  > appreciated.<BR>Thanks<BR>Tom Masterson</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> --
>          John Covici
>          covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shaun Oliver
"Becareful of the toes u step on today, they maybe connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!"

EMAIL: shaun_oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ICQ: 76958435
YAHOO: blindman01_2000
MSN: blindman_2001@xxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: captain nemo 200
IRC: irc.awesomechat.net:6666
IRCNICK: blindman
CHANNELS: #awesomeradio #mircpopup-magic #linux #help #ourworld #audiofile #mauisun