RE: Command list.

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 tim.pennick@xxxxxx wrote:

> I think you would type 'text append no-scroll',

The interactive use of the keyword "append" is
dubious at best (see below for details).

> If you can edit the 'syslinux.cfg' file, you can
> put that in there.  Find the line which begins
> with the label text, and then simply add the
> word no-scroll to the first indented line after
> this label which begins with the word 'append'.

Yes, "append" is normally used in bootloader config
files to add stuff you don't wish to type at the
bootprompt each time you boot.

Personally, I think that it would be a good idea
to post an appropriate replacement for the
syslinux.cfg file on some likely sites, for
blind/visually impaired newbie users, with all the
sensible modifications built in, so that simply
typing something like "blind" at the boot prompt
would do it all.  Maybe that could be the default.
Perhaps a batch file to write it to the floppy
(and rawrite the floppy image from the CD) should
be added, or something like that, using a linux
rescue CD or floppy.

Another thing that could be added would be a
ks.cfg file to pre-select defaults like this:

ks.cfg: -- cut here (start) --
install
# Configure for no mouse:
mouse none
# Do text mode install:
text
# Do not try to configure X (GUI):
skipx

# Everything will be prompted for normally using the
# specified defaults if "interactive" is
# uncommented (comment for automated install):
interactive

# Packages and application groups to install:
%packages --resolvedeps
# Base text packages will be installed no matter what.
# Groups:
@ Text-based Internet
# Probably only want sound applications instead of
# this group:
# @ Sound and Video

# Individual packages:
sox
vorbis-tools
# ... more text mode sound apps (suggest some).

mgetty
vim-minimal
pine
emacspeak
zsh

%post --interpreter=/bin/bash
echo "Running post install add on commands:"
# Post install script commands here:

# Configure for login prompts (terminals --
# synths or braille) on serial lines, by adding
# lines to the end of inittab:
cp /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.orig

# Copy lines literally onto end of inittab:
cat >>  /etc/inittab << End-of-inittab-marker
# Uncomment for synth on com1:
# S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -r -s 9600 ttyS0"
# Likewise for synth on com2:"
# S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -r -s 9600 ttyS1"

# Put beeps or play a sound in the listed file, to
# signal when bootup is complete:
# au:2345c:once:/etc/rc.d/boot.notice.audio
End-of-inittab-marker

# More stuff needed here to put bells at the login
# prompt and on boot and shutdown completion, etc.

ks.cfg: -- cut here (end) --

Anything else not included but required would be
prompted for.  I don't believe newbies should have
to figure out any details that can be
pre-configured (and this kind of help would reduce
much noise on this and other lists).

Many other details could be pre-scripted, via the
"%post" script directive at the end, as indicated.

But since I'm not blind, I must leave the details
of such a project to others who can figure out
what is really appropriate, and test it with
adaptive hardware I don't have.  But I would be
willing to help with the scripting, provided I
know what is needed.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is
award winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds
your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html