Reading the Elba's filesystems

Hi guys.

Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the Elba
filesystem images for the updates on a standard linux system so I can
figure out how the system works?
I've figured out that when you unpack the zip file the update comes in
there's two files that get dropped on to the partitions that are
contained in the internal memory for the device.
The to files that get installed on to the Elba are zimage.img andd ramdisk.img.
I'm assuming that the zimage.img file contains the boot loader and
kernel for the Elba.
The ramdisk.img file probably contains the root filesystem that has
directoies like
/etc /home/usr and others.
I was able to read the kernel messages for the Elba and in the
messages there was something about jfs support so I added this in to
my kernel to try to mount the images.
After adding jfs in to my kernel I rebooted and tried to mount the
images as loop devices like I would for things like floppy disks and
cdroms and when I tried this the system couldn't find a valid
filesystem on either image.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks,
Tommy