Re: 2.6.0 test kernel: no beeps

Well, I recompiled the 2.6.0-test4 kernel and went through the whole make config again. I do have sound working; used the deprecated oss choices since I can't currently get alsa working. However, I still am getting no console beeps--not when backspacing or with files i have set up to beep or with completions or at any time. I would think it does have to be something in the "make config" but I can't find it. The kernel seems to work fine for me other than the absence of console beeps.
I still do get the beep I've set up at the lilo prompt; it's apparently just once this kernel boots that I lose console beeps.
Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Cheryl