Win 2 Linux over LAN?

Hi,

I have 4 computers on the private side of the router as our lan. We're
struggling to get many of the machines to see each other, though admit
that it is the Linux machines that have the best recognition of each
others presence so far.  How does one get to communicate between any
combination of Windows--Linux machines.  Suggestions for each platform
as I almost certainly have to fiddle with both.  Would the routing
options in the router help much, it's meant to do something useful in
this area.

GA!

.....     or someone very like me!