Re: Talking Linux On Thinkpad six hundred?

Absolutely. I've had Linux on a succession of Thinkpads for almost 6
years now. My first Thinkpad predated the 600, and my two most recent
post date it.

But, give the entire 6 Gb to Linux. Don't think you're going to get very
far with only 3 Gb for XP Pro.

Norman B. Robinson writes:
> From: "Norman B. Robinson" <norman_b_robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> No - but it seems as if seven others have had success:
>    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html
>
> The list is in ascending order.
>
> Luke Davis wrote:
>
> >Hello all:
> >
> >I have an IBM Thinkpad 600 (not 600E).  Built in modem, removable CDROM
> >drive, pluggable floppy, two PC slots, IR transceiver (for which I have no
> >use), USB ports, docking station port, one serial, one parallel, one PS2,
> >and the standard keyboard, mouse, and sound.
> >
> >My copy of XP Home edition has finally bitten the dust, and I'm thinking
> >I'll blow it away, and split the six gb hd in half, with half going to a
> >new copy of XP Pro, and the rest going to Debian 3.0 R1.
> >
> >Has anyone ever done this with an IBM Thinkpad 600?  Some of the earlier
> >Thinkpads had problems doing this sort of thing, and had very bad (as in:
> >mother board hozing) power management bugs, and the like.
> >
> >I'm going to go through my old bookmarks on the subject, and do some web
> >searches, but I thought I would inquire here, to see what people knew.
> >
> >I'll be running Speakup, and to start, will be using a DEC Express, later
> >switching to software speech, or a PCMCIA speech card, unless I can pick
> >up a cheap Doubletalk LT.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Luke

				Janina Sajka, Director