Re: Call Centre Job

I happen to have some close relatives that have
worked, and in one case, are working in call
centers.  So I know just a tiny bit about what
goes on there, from them, second hand (I'm pretty
ignorant, in other words).  But I talked to them
about your situation, and will give you what info
I can.

Will emacspeak work for you, for the applications
used in the call center?  Or will yasr or some
other choice work?  It all depends, and neither
you or we are going to be able to solve that
alone.  You will need to gather together the info
about this mailing list, the blinux FAQ, the
blinux software archive address, etc, and get it
to the IT techies in your new place of employment,
probably ASAP, so they can figure out the best
route to go.  Maybe they will install flite and a
soundcard in your station, or connect a hardware
synth to a serial port, who knows?  But it is not
something you will be able to do, or that they
would want you to do independently.

Maybe the call center software has a browser front
end (sometimes that is the case), and they will
figure out that a text mode browser like links or
lynx (note the different spelling) will work good
enough for what you need to do, if you are so
lucky.

Or maybe the call center software will work in
text mode, and from within emacspeak, so that you
can have access.

One thing you need to address right up front, is
whether the software can be accessed from text
mode, as often is the case with linux (and hence
my mention of text browsers above), or is all GUI,
because if it is all GUI, you will get no speech
access at this time (the development of GUI speech
access, while coming along, is not practical in a
production environment, and especially not for a
newbie).

There are some specific answers and comments
relative to some of your more particular questions
in with the previous text below.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Amy77 wrote:

> Would Emacspeak, which I just recently heard
> about, work for me?

Emacspeak works from within the Emacs system,
which was originally a highly programable textmode
editor, but now can do lots of things, like read
and answer email, news, browse the web, and a host
of other things, so that emacspeak leverages that
capability to become an "audio desktop".  This
extensive functionality comes at a price,
naturally.  Emacs has a reputation for having a
high learning curve.  It might be that you could
still learn a very basic set of commands and keys
in the beginning, equivalent to one of the more
lightweight speech front ends, like yasr, and
gradually add to that, to become very adept at
doing all sorts of things (there are built in
tutorials/help).  Or it might be better to start
out with a more lightweight server, like yasr.
Others here can guide you better on that than I
can.

Many or most of the employees may not even know
that Linux is the operating system underneath, so
that is, or should be, unimportant to the end user
in this type of environment.

> concerned because that would mean that I would
> be working without any speech feedback.

Which would be pretty foolish from your employer's
perspective, if text mode access is possible.

> I am wondering whether you would be able to give
> me a very brief explanation as to what Linux is,

http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/general.html

And that site has in depth info about almost
anything you want to know about linux (and a lot
you don't).

> employer, I would just need to hit a single key.
> Then I would tab through various fields to enter
> in thier contact information.  As much as I
> would like to believe in the simplicity of this,
> I don't know whether things can be that easy.

If it really is that easy, it would also be dead
easy for any experienced Linux IT admin to write a
simple short text mode script that would collect
this info (getting it into the database is another
matter, but if it was a problem, someone could
paste it in with a mouse later).

> Even if what my employer is saying will be true,
> that I will not need any speech feedback on the
> job,

Yea, hard to believe that this would make sense,
with so many other good possibilities.  Linux is
very flexible.

> I would like to know whether Linux compatible
> speech program exists that would enable me to
> hear the prompts and to hear the result of my
> data entry.

Several possibilities exist, but, as indicated
above, they only are useful in text mode, but not
with the GUI yet.  Linux provides an exceptionally
rich text mode environment, which continues to
grow at an incredible pace, but none of that
general stuff matters, unless the call center
software is accessible from text mode, and call
center software varies, sometimes from account to
account within a call center.

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Guy Abandon. wrote:

> A software synth/speech through the sound card
> is the economic option again if you or the
> employer has no means of getting the external
> devices paid for.

But my guess is that an inexpensive hardware synth
would be cheap compared to your wage, and the
improvement or convenience should be well worth it
to your employer.  They may be spending more than
that on your phone headset alone, not counting the
phone cards and networking for it, which may be
quite pricey.  Hardware cost just shouldn't be a
significant factor in the decision, in any
organization with intelligent managers.  But you
may need to let them know about the options there.

> This introduces a third element to install and
> get working and as such, add to the scope for
> complexity though.

And the time involved for the IT staff would tend
to make a software synth a stupid choice (and they
might still have to add a sound card, speakers or
extra headset, etc).  And not adding anything at
all would be even more stupid, in terms of (your)
employee time.  In this I am assuming something
like the synth recently mentioned here, which
lists at $300, but can be found for about $150.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to lcr@xxxxxxxxxxx