Call Centre Job

Dear Blinux List Members:

I am a new member of the Blinux List as I have just subscribed yesterday.  I'm hoping that some of you will be able to help me with my dilemma.

I will be starting my new job in a call centre, which uses Linux, in just over a week from today.  However, I have virtually no knowledge of Linux once so ever.  My new employer has assured me that I should not worry because another totaly blind person has successfully done my job before.  Nevertheless, I am employer is suggesting that it still concerned because that would mean that I would be working without any speech feedback.

I am wondering whether you would be able to give me a very brief explanation as to what Linux is, and to recommend a software that I would be able to use in my new job.

My employer described I will be making outgoing calls to different people.  Once they express interest in my proposal, according to my employer, I would just need to hit a single key.  Then I would tab through various fields to enter in thier contact information.  As much as I would like to believe in the simplicity of this, I don't know whether things can be that easy.  Even if what my employer is saying will be true, that I will not need any speech feedback on the job, I wtill would like to know whether Linux compatible speech program exists that would enable me to hear the prompts and to hear the result of my data entry.

Any suggestions you would be able to provide to me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Amy