OT: best distro (was: Re: SV: does slackware have advantages?

> On 30 jul 2003 Krishnakant Ramesh Mane wrote:

> where there was another mis understanding about
> my mail.  First of all I am sorry if I sounded
> like advocating some thing.  But the fact is
> that if I was advocating some brand I would have
> never asked on the list.

No misunderstanding.  But your request was an
invitation to advocacy on our part, if taken in a
broad sense.  It is indeed appropriate to ask on
this list about the suitability of distros, but
only as it applies to blind users, and I think
that has been pretty well answered, in that
context.

> properly.  I was just thinking that as all agree
> that the server should be consisting of the bare
> minimum required to run the enterprise and leave
> the other stuff to the clients, I thought
> slackware will be good.

Slackware is a general purpose distribution
oriented to the experienced techie type, not
new users (well liked by many old timers that
got into linux in the beginning).  It is not
really more or less server oriented than other
major distros.  There are special, narrowly
focused server distros, for specific purposes.

> Some one rightly pointed out that redhat needs a
> lot of dependancies for working.

This, I think, is a misunderstanding.  All
distros, including slackware, have these
dependencies: some have installation and package
managers that are better at managing dependencies,
and Red Hat is one of these.

> I have heard that slackware can be installed
> with just a single cd and does take one gb or
> so.  if that is true then I may go with it.

Likely much less than that, with a bare bones base
install, but that is also true of other distros.

> but with a blind person's perspective will it be
> easy to install ViaVoice on the slackware 9?

That depends on the dependencies, and with
slackware, you have to figure those out yourself,
with no help from the install/package manager
(maybe that has changed, or is slackware still
behind there?).  That is one of the big reasons
slackware is not for the bulk of the new ordinary
desktop users that are moving to linux (or busy
server admins, for that matter).  Don't get me
wrong: there is certainly a place for distros like
slackware, gentoo, rock linux, and the like.  But
blind users often like slackware due to text based
admin stuff, I guess?  Note that all distros can
be administered by editing text config files.

> another point is that I am going to be the part
> of the training team from my organisation to
> train the administration part to the staf at the
> client's end.  the person in charge is aware of
> linux and knows how to operate.  so I also have
> to consider the ease of use due to the fact that
> he is no expert in technicalities.

So you can see from the previous comments that
slackware might be a poor choice for these people.

> that's the reason I bought mandrek linux cds.
> again ViaVoice must work on it or else I may not
> be able to do the configuration part.

The best way to solve that problem might be to
install an older version of a distro that is known
to run ViaVoice, as discussed before, on a single
machine you intend to use, perhaps using that
machine as a terminal to admin others, with a
later version (this works fine).  With linux, you
don't have to run the latest thing, and it's often
counterproductive to do so.  I take it that you
have tried the latest version of flite, with
better voices, and found it still unsuitable?

> I have to also look in the GUI issue because I
> think the guy out there was previously a M$
> freek and knows things like control panel etc
> and seams to like it.  hence I am thinking about
> mandrek.  does slackware have that rich gui like
> redhat (because I have used it).

All major distros have the GUI, as well as many
minor ones.  The specific administration front
ends vary somewhat, and there are front ends that
can be added to remotely admin small or large
networks, perhaps through the browser.  The
specifics of ANSWERING that really do get into
advocacy, and, with the GUI orientation of the
question, are especially inappropriate for this
list, but would be perfectly appropriate for the
advocacy group I mentioned before, which is a high
volume, noisy, flame bait ridden group most of
wish to avoid (and we didn't sign up for it).
<grin>

> Further more a few so called experts have told
> me that mandrek is much stable and the easiest
> to install is that true (from a blind person's
> point of view?) I mean if I were to make some
> sited person sit with me to instruct him to
> install the thing.  how easy will it be for me
> to communicate with him to direct him.  I have
> heard that in this perspective mandrek is the
> easiest and slackware will be most technical.
> Please comment on this.

Well, it's starting to sound like you are talking
about a sizeable network?  But that is not a hard
question anyway.  Installation of linux has
matured for all the major distros, to where any of
them should be ok, if you are willing to do it
interactively by hand, on each machine
individually.

But for a network, it could be desirable to
automate (script) the install for many machines,
as with Red Hat's "kickstart".  And Red Hat now
has a GUI front end for creating the kickstart
config file, for those who prefer that to creating
it with a text editor.  Kickstart can install many
machines from a server, over a network (with no CD
drive necessary in the local machine), or just
about any other way you like.  That should work
for both you and your sighted peers.

BTW, for client desktop machines, if your
organization wants to save a bundle of money and
hassle (who doesn't, these days), you might want
to look at the LTSP distro, a thin client scheme
for linux: no local install at all necessary --
boots from server, using normal (but usually
dated) client PC hardware.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html