Slackware 9 install?

I've put this on three times so far using the speakup boot floppy and
surprisingly only 2 other install floppies.  The process seemed to
work flawlessly.
If anyone says there should have been more install.floppies, two was
all there was.

and all I get to on the first real reboot off the hd is:-

verifying DMI Pool data

That's it, so what's it doing or what should I do or what should I
have done or anything to make this damned thing work while I yet have
hair!

I followed all the things with partitions and got no complaints in the
setup procedure.

incidentally:  When we tried to put Mandrake on a similar spec
computer for Wife and got sort of corruption problem on the restart;
it was tracked down to an unacceptably slow CD drive.  I haven't got a
spare either.  I hope it's not this but would change it readily enough
if it was.

Thanks a lot, honest!

GA!

.....     or someone very like me!