Re: Centericq & cursor routings / ELinks

Hi Jois,

After writing my reply I reread your message and find I did not pay
attention when I read it the first time. Very sorry. Hopefully the
following is not too far off to be meaningful:

First, the mysterious DCs: This looks like garbage from the escape
sequences brltty tries to use to move the cursor. Either Centericq
doesn't recognize these or else you've written a long line that has been
folded. Brltty is trying to move the cursor vertically on what Linux
regards as a horizontal line. If this is the case, you'll have to either
format your line so it's not folded or use the routing button at the
left or right end of the line and the PC arrows to get to the previous
or next line respectively. In other words, to move backwards use the
routing button at the left end of the current line, then the left arrow
to get to the right end of the previous line and so on. I hope that
makes sense...

I don't know anything about Centericq and not much about elinks, but if
either is like lynx it requires that we use only up and down arrows on
the PC keyboard to move the cursor whether vertically or horizontally.
This means that if we use the cursor routing buttons on the Braille
display they will work only if the cursor movement happens to be
straight up or down; any attempt to move across the line results in some
sort of nasty behavior.

Brltty has a command called CSRJMP_VERT (at least if my notes are
accurate) that allows the cursor routing buttons to use only vertical
movement commands to reach the line the display is on. The cursor ends
up on the first link on that line and you must use the down arrow to
move right (!) across that line to the link you want.

Assuming this command is not already assigned to a key combination on
your display, you can download the tarball from mielke.cc/brltty, find a
key or combination you never use, and modify the source to invoke that
command; then recompile.

As for the truncated lines, my experience is that brltty seems very good
at reading the entire screen, at least up to a size of 50 lines by 132
columns which is the biggest I've tried. There's a file called
/usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/svga.txt that tells how to have Linux
scan your video hardware to see what screen dimensions your system
supports. Sighted help or an Optacon is needed here as this information
comes out before the kernel is decompressed (it's actually a boot loader
command) but assuming you have a VGA card you might be able to use the
command:

vga=12932

Put this command somewhere in the APPEND string that the boot loader
passes to the kernel. This doesn't seem to work on Red Hat, but it does
on Oralux and by implication Debian. I tested it using a boot floppy but
found it necessary to update the floppy's kernel to be the same version
as the newest one on my hard disk.

Other than that, the Centericq documentation may have some notes on how
to scroll the screen horizontally or cause long lines to be folded; I
too haven't had any luck with the square brackets (except possibly once
in Lynx).

Hope this helps,

Lee