Re: kernel compilation

kristoffer -

You need to type "make dep" for 2.4.x kernels, but not for the 2.5.x
kernels.  In fact, if you do so, you get a message

*** Warning: make dep is unnecessary now.

Another useful command is "make oldconfig".  The idea is to start with
the .config from some previous version of the kernel.  Then "make
oldconfig" will take its answers from the old config file if possible,
and ask you only for options that didn't appear there.

I will also note that it took me quite a few tries to get a 2.5.x
kernel that worked.  There seemed to be quite a few new config options
I needed to enable to get what I would regard as a "standard kernel",
for example
  CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
  CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
  CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
  CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
If you want to work with a developmental kernel, I think you can
expect some failed boots before you figure out a configuration that
works.

		- Jim Van Zandt