kernel compilation

hello!
I have consided to recompile my kernel and update it from 2.4. something to
2.5.54.
I tried the make config command but found it too hard to use so i decided to
use the menuconfig command instead.
i have checked that all my options i want is checked.
dos fat ext2 and ext3 filesystems is checked.
intel sound support is checked.
the usb braille voyager is checked.
so, i exit the program and save my changes.
then i type make.
then it says no rules to make target config.
config no such file or directory.
i saved the new first as config and then as myconf.
what is wrong here?
is there anybody on this list who have sucseeded with compiling the kernel?
if so, can you e-mail me off list and give me instructions of how i shall do
this?
i have read the linux kernel howto but i find this hard to understand.

thanks in advance

kristoffer