Från: blinux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:blinux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]För L. C. Robinson
Skickat: den 4 juli 2003 13:56
Till: blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Ämne: Re: SV: segmentation fault

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

> Loadlin WWWHen i try to load a kernel larger than 1
> mb  i get an error saying illegal file format or
> something.

Are you trying to load a compressed kernel name that
ends with z, like /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-18.9 (the right
one), or the file that ends with an x, like
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-18.9 (wrong).

The kernel source comes with a README file in the top
dir that will tell you where right finished kernel will
appear (a subdirectory).  And it also contains all the
building instructions you have been asking for.
Other files will tell you how to solve other problems,
and what updated utils you MUST have to make a new
kernel series work right.

(BTW, this kernel building stuff is kind of off topic
for this list, unless it actually has something to do
with accessibility for visual impairments -- but you
can get speakup kernels already built for you).

> THe segmentation fault This error occurs when i have
> begin playing a cd and want to stop play and exit the
> cdp program.  When I do so I get segmentation fault
> and can't get my cd drive open.

So cdp segfaults.  You could:
1. Use "eject" to, well, eject it.
2. Replace cdp with a newer version, or another
   cd playing program, maybe a more up to date one.
3. Possibly a simple recompile of cdp would help (but
   probably not a high enough chance to be worth the
   trouble).

> also when i try to mount a floppy with the mount
> command i get the same error message.  I know that
> there is something wrong with my kernel since it
> works with an earlier kernel i have.

Maybe you need to replace some kernel related utils
with versions built for that kernel, possibly even
mount, or some floppy drive parameter setting utils.
But you have not really given enough info to make a
good guess.  Can you access a dos format floppy with
mdir?

You know, most users would just give up on linux if
they had to go through all the stuff you have.  You
have an unusual determination and drive with this stuff
that will serve you well in the future.

But new users should not have to go through all that,
ever, especially early on, and they don't have to.  You
said you were getting tired of it, and rightly so (I
know I am).  My advice to you is to learn to install,
get, and use, and if necessary, configure, already
built kernel + module (driver) packages that already
have what you need.  There is plenty to learn in that
respect anyway.  All major distributors ship ready to
go kernel-module packages that have everything a normal
user needs, and a great deal they don't need.  The
problem is usually to find out what front end utilities
will help you configure the kernel and other system
parts, with a minimum of effort.

Start by thoroughly exploring Yast, and whatever else
suse ships for administration, and the SuSE manuals and
other documentation (I'm assuming that SuSE ships
electronic versions of their manuals like Red Hat: if
not they should be dumped for a better distribution --
SCO made that mistake, and others, and lost out in the
race for market share years ago).  For general stuff
not covered in the suse manuals, go to
http://www.tldp.org/, or a mirror, and look up what you
need -- that is a very extensive library of linux
documentation (suse probably ships and installs a
substantial part of that under /usr/share/doc/).  With
your determination you will progress much faster that
way, and soon be one of the more proficient linux
users.  Most of the really useful stuff to learn is in
user space outside the kernel.  Literally hundreds of
handy utilities that can be snapped together like lego
blocks, in different combinations, to do an infinite
number of tasks.

If your sound hardware really is too difficult to
support under a standard kernel, you are better off
replacing it, if your time is worth anything (probably
true even for experts).  But I bet a standard kernel
can be configured to automatically load the proper
modules, using standard front end utilities shipped by
SuSE.  I'd know what to tell you to try with Red Hat,
but things have changed a lot since SuSE started with
the Red Hat base years ago.  For instance, Red Hat no
longer even installs the sndconfig util anymore -- if
you need it for a legacy ISA card that is not
automatically recognized and loaded by the kernel, you
have to install it yourself, from the CD, and then you
have to tell it the answers to questions it asks about
your aging sound card.  The fact that the kernel didn't
auto-configure your card is certainly not a good sign.

BTW, are you using the most recent kernel update put
out by SuSE?  All major distributors have recently
issued updated kernels, to correct some security and
other bugs.  And I am assuming you are using an up to
date set of SuSE CD's?

Best wishes in your efforts, LCR