segmentation fault

hello!
after recompiling to a new kernel i get the message segmentation fault.
i can't stop playing a cd when playing and i can't mount a floppy.
what does segmentation fault means?
cancan someone explain it to me so i can know what i shall compile different
in my kernel?
I know that I have put this question or a questionnot so different from this
one.
but i have changed computer since that so i don't have the post any longer.

also, how can i load a kernel larger than 1 mb with loadlin?
what is the latest version of that thing?

thanks in advance

kristoffer

kristoffer