Re: New user?

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Guy Abandon. wrote:

> Ok, I'll be getting a new(ish) computer at the
> end of next.  I need to order my Linux thing
> pretty fast.  I would prefer to make a single
> purchase rather than trawl all over the net.  I
> need:-  a suitable version of Linux,  software
> speech engine/screen reader (please distinguish
> if different), user interface (latest Emaxspeak
> springs to mind) and all necessary instruction
> to get it to work on the first shot.

In the top directory of the Red Hat install disks
there is a generally written README-Accessibility
file that gives pointers to most of the info you
want; you should also read the blinux faq.  Using
those resources, you should be able to get very
cheap or free (downloadable) install CD's.

> imagine getting a Creative Labs sound card would
> be preferable to A-Open's on-board device?

Not necessarily: your builtin card may have all
you need, assuming it is a 16 bit card (likely,
for any recent motherboard, I would think).

To get what you have working with Red Hat 9, if it
was not already autoconfigured, you would first
run redhat-config-soundcard (not sure if that
works in textmode (some of the Red Hat admin front
ends have *-tui suffix version, for the "text user
interface").

Failing that, you would install the old legacy
textmode sndconfig package (but that would likely
only help with old ISA bus cards that are not
already recognized).

Then look at the alsa drivers; get the binary
module, util and library packages at
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/ You
may want alsa drivers anyway, because of their
advantages, such as full duplex operation, more
soundcards and their features supported, etc.

The RedHat manuals also have info on how to
directly hand edit the text mode config files
(these are available on their web site).

And there are very large, high traffic usenet
groups, such as comp.os.linux.setup and
comp.os.linux.hardware, where some user likely has
experience with your specific hardware.

> The base unit involved is a 2nd hand P3-400Mhz
> afaik.  I think it's only 128Mb so I'll have to
> try find more of that before I start too...  256
> sounds a lot better or am I still thinking in
> Windows terms?

Yes, those are indeed windoze terms: that is more
than enough speed and memory, for the usual sorts
of things.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html