flite 1.2 release and eflite 0.36 on slackware 9_0

Both packages fail to build.  Flite probably the more seriously since
building it gets me an internal error and instructions to submit a
complete bug report at the gnu web url.  eflite fails then because flite
didn't make it a libflite_yes.a library.  All of this happens with gcc
3.22.  I'm about to drop back to gcc 2.95.3 and try a build of both
packages with that compiler to see if luck is better.