Re: speakup vs yasr?

That should be a FAQ.

I have used Speak-up very little and am not qualified to comment on it,
but it is kernel-based, and from what I understand the user would use the
numeric keypad to control it.  I believe its user interface is similar to
that of ASAP.  Yasr is not kernel-based, and its interface is modeled
after that of Vocal-Eyes (since that is what I was used to), although
there are differences.

So, if you want a screen reader that will start talking as soon as Linux
starts, will read all of the kernel messages if you want it to, and can be
used to install Linux without your having to do a lot of monkeying around
with the root disk, then use Speak-up.  If you want a screen reader that
does not reolve around Emacs, yet can operate as well under Solaris or the
BSDs as under Linux, then use yasr.

And, of course, Speak-up, Yasr, and Emacspeak are all free, so you can try
out all three and decide which you prefer, or switch between them
dep;ending on what you are doing if you'd like.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --