Re: machine with Linux on flash card

Hi Christopher,

Here is a brief description of that box taken from
http://www.mini-box.com/m100.htm

Size: 20 cm (W) x4.4 cm (H) x22 (D) cm
Weighs just (1Kg) 2lb
2x20 LCD display + customizable 14 key keypad
Will run as long as 12Hours from a 12V/7Ah battery
Shipped with small embedded Linux distribution
 Retail Price: $495.95

The box is about the size of large book and portable. Of course you
would need some kind of battery to make it usable away from the power
source.

The box is based on mini ITX motherboard which until recently came in
two flavors, 533 MHz and 800 MHz. 533 MHz is fanless, ie. makes no
noise, 800 MHz has a tiny fan. They both are good for some embedded
applications.

Motherboard specs:
mini ITX size, (17 cm x 18 cm x 4 cm)
embedded CPU (VIA processor, 800MHz)
1 PCI slot
Audio: VT1612A AC'97 Codec
3 audio jacks
2 memory DIMM slots
supports up to 4 ATA drives
ethernet
2 USB ports
TV out with 640x480 and 800x600 NTSC/PAL
other standard ports

Ituner is selling following components: power supply adaptor AC-DC
(110/220 to 12V 5A) for $29.95

power kit which allows you to connect motherboard to 12V power source
like car battery, etc. $49.95
at http://store.yahoo.com/ituner/posoformi.html

Web site
http://www.mini-itx.com/
has examples of people using mini ITX motherboard to build computers in
all kinds of cases. Some are silly some are cute. For example, somebody
modified old Commodore 64 into PC, another one used portable Commodore
with CRT.

Mini ITX motherboards with the CPU are cheap, around $129 I believe.

For people without vision it might be a good option assuming you don't
need power for other things like speech synthesis etc. I believe you
could install a 2.5" disk drive in the box also.

I happen to know the designer of this box personaly so I can pass some
questions along ;-)

If I were to use a computer based on that motherboard I would probably
opt for a briefcase to mount everything in there. I built a compouter
with XT motherboard and standard PSU for a demo project in 1988 so it
should be even easier to do it with modern technology.

You can order power adapter from Ituner, buy motherboard from the
mailorder place or local store, and install all in your case for less
than $350 I believe.

I hope this helps you a bit.

--
Rafael