OS and HD format advice

I have a 74.5GB HD with Windows XP Home Edition. I also have RedHat 7.3 ISOs
on CD RWs. I was thinking of partitioning the HD to three partitions;
C:\Windows Xp Home Edition 35GB, D:\Windows 98SE 4.5GB and E:\Linux  35GB. I
will need to move my CD RW and DVD ROM drives to other drive letters. My PC
also has 512MB of RAM. I have no sight so I am not sure how to partition the
drive with some sighted assistance. I am becoming interested in Gnopericus.
I am not sure if I should install the RedHat 7.3 and some how upgrade the
the Red hat Linux. I hate Windows, however, I have two groups that use
Microsoft Office 2000: at some point I will need to look at installing a
windows console program like Samba. I do abunch of HTML programming and
demostrations. I am also looking into learning C,JAVA and Pearl programming
languages. I started with a Commodore 64 in july 1984. I also have a DECTalk
Ex press that works wwell with Speakup and I am thinking of eventially
moveing to my Sound Blaster sound card and useing the DECTalk as a backup.
My ISP is a cable service. I would like to hear some advice?

Angus MacKinnon
Adaptive Computer Educator, ACE
Email: MAILTO:flodabay@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Page: http://members.shaw.ca/dabneyadfm