VI and yasr

Hello,
I am starting a course for teaching linux and windows to blind computer students. It is going to be the first of its kind.
I am planning to include the VI editor in the course. However I found out some problem with vi along with yasr.
the first thing is that when I type some thing in yasr it reads the number of characters typed. like when I type my name it says 1 2 3 4 etc for K r i s respectively. how to prevent this. secondly there is hardly any documentation on using yasr.
I have been trying to reduce the speed of yasr. I am using yasr with emacspeak server for IBM ViaVoice. when I go to the synthesizer speek it asks me to type a value between 0 to 200. When I change the value (175) by default to some thing else, it says value excepted. however even after that it continues in the same speed. plus I would also like to know how do I change the pumctuation verbosity to none or all etc.
Please let me know as soon as possible or else I will have to switch to emacspeak only. I want to use yasr but it there is no way out then what to do.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Hope to get a quick reply.
Krishnakant.