Re: Diagnosing ABT320 Braille Terminal

Nicolas and Lee,

The 40 cells on the ABT340 certainly help. Mine has only 20, while my
Braille Lite has 40. The main difference, however, is that the Braille
lite has a braille keyboard, and the brltty driver has keyboard emulation.
That means that I can write on the braille keyboard on the Braille Lite
and it's just the same as though I were using the computer's qwerty
keyboard. With the chorded key combinations, it is possible to operate the
computer completely from the Braille Lite. This saves me a lot of pushing
my chair around to get into a good position for the computer keyboard. I
still do use that keyboard because I can type faster, but only for long
messages, like this one.  I've gotten a long cable for my braille Lite so
I can take it into my bedroom and read and browse the Web while lying
down.

John
 On Fri, 9 May 2003, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:

> IMHO, one thing that adversely affects the Alva is that the left and
> right keys are not typematic. I doubt this matters on an 80-character
> display, but on a 40 it's a pain and I bet it's worse on a 20. Thanks to
> Nicolas I found the place in the source where I could change it, but it
> still seems an unfortunate default.
>
> However, the Linux Alva driver seems more sluggish than (my memory of)
> the DOS program, so I don't think it's the serial port settings since
> DOS presumably uses the same ones. What are the BrailleLite's?
>
> Lee
>
> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:25:31AM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
> > Lee, the Alva works with brltty. But it's not nearly as good as the
> > Braille Lite 40 that I normally use. At least I now have a backup
> > braille display.  I looked at the parameters after brltty had run and
> > they do seem to be > 9600,n81.  > Thanks, John On Fri, 9 May 2003, Lee
> > Maschmeyer wrote: > > John, > > >
> > It's not necessary to set anything on Linux. On the ABT, at least if
> > the > > firmware is 970101, use the status menu to make sure the
> > serial port > > you're using is set to pc. (If you have to change it,
> > the setup menu > > choice is "Alva".)  This can be done on the fly;
> > use the > > Prog+Home+Status keys and follow the prompts. BRLTTY will
> > recover > > properly when you exit the menu.  > > > > Make sure the
> > serial cable is a null-modes cable. BRLTTY will take care > > of the
> > rest.  > > > > I think Travis's settings are right; I think I saw it
> > in the source for > > the Alva driver; but as I say, brltty does it
> > all.  > > > > I have no idea about Gnopernicus. Someone awhile ago
> > listed the Braille > > devices supported and (at that time) Alva
> > wasn't one of them.  > > > > HTH, > > > > Lee > > > > > > >

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703