Visual web sites

I maintain four web sites.

scrapsayings.com
mathreference.com
eklhad.net
great-phones.com

The latter is a retail site, so we've spent a little more time on it
than the others.  Making it pretty that is.

You do not, not not not, need javascript, ever,
except for the function that says "bookmark this site",
and you can copy that little snippit from anywhere, even my site.

What you do need is sighted help.
Sorry - no independence here - you need a sighted friend.
My wife helps me.

She says "This should be centered" and I center it.
Or "Description and picture should be side by side,
not on top of each other",
and I make a table with one row and two entries.
I try different colors and fonts and she tells me what looks good.
That's it.

As for editors, I use edbrowse.
I write raw html, and have it rendered by a single command.
The command also checks for syntax errors, tables that aren't closed, etc.
It's not for everyone, but it meets my needs.

Hope this helps.

Karl