editing the bash command line

I am a ksh user.

In ksh I can press the escape key  and select
a previous command line to edit and execute using the +, - and v keys.

I now have to access a system that only has bash and
this procedure doesn't work in bash.  Can someone familiar
with the bash version of command line editing help me out here?

My FCEDIT environmental variable is defined as  vi if
that makes any odds.

Thanks,
Rudy