Re: gnopernicus on redhat8 help please...

Hey Nath and all,

Sorry about that comment. I did not mean for it to sound that way. That was just a little frustration at my own inability to get things to work. The instructions at Nath's site are still very helpful to me if I take them in small peices. Since I'm not a developer or engineer, I tend to get overwhelmed by anything not easily installed via tarball or RPM.

And I was wrong about the Redhat Gnome information. The Redhat8.0 Gnome version is Gnome2.0.

Redhat has (of course) taken their own approach to Gnome and departed from the general Linux community in this. All of the binaries aren't even installed in the gnome stack and everything else is installed in the /usr/share You cannot run Gnopernicus on top of this. I just found this out yesterday. However, the newest Redhat Beta5 RC6 or "Phoebe," does come with Gnome2.2. And I am in the process of installing Gnopernicus on it right now. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Has anybody in this forum had a chance to read the Redhat Linux 8.0 Bible, yet? The introduction clearly states that 'gnopernicus' is included with Redhat's implementation of Gnome. Kind of upsets me that got into print because it's not true. I looked all over my system before I decided to go out on the Internet for some information.

Once again, Nath. I am very sorry about that comment. Anybody who spends the kind of time you obviously have on that webpage deserves more credit. Thanks for helping all of us out!

some notes so far:

For anyone trying the instructions at: http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus.html

I was able to get in touch with the web admin and they fixed the broken 'go_gnome' script for setting the system environment.

Also, you need to download the 'gnome-common' package from CVS and install it for the ./autogen.sh scripts to work.