Re: Fw: Microsoft warns of open source threat

Yes, many of us read about their new approach in the Halloween documents
last year.

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

This isn't news. And it doesn't make my heart bleed.

Let's see, where's my violin?

David Poehlman writes:

> Microsoft warns of open source threat
> By
> Ian Fried
> Special to ZDNet News
> February 5, 2003, 4:34 AM PT
>
> Microsoft is warning that the success of the open-source movement could hurt
> its sales, potentially forcing the software giant to cut prices and
> sacrifice
> both revenue and profits.
>
> "To the extent the open-source model gains increasing market acceptance,
> sales of the company's products may decline, the company may have to reduce
> the
> prices it charges for its products, and revenues and operating margins may
> consequently decline," Microsoft said in a filing last week with the
> Securities
> and Exchange Commission.
>
> In the filing, the Redmond, Wash.-based company paints a picture of two
> contrasting business models--its commercial software development model, in
> which
> a single company bears the costs of developing software and reaps the
> financial benefits of the work; and the open-source model, in which, says
> Microsoft,
> "software is produced by global 'communities' of programmers, and the
> resulting software and the intellectual property contained therein is
> licensed to
> end users at little or no cost."
>
> A Microsoft representative was not immediately available for comment.
>
> Companies often include cautionary language in their regulatory filings
> about potential risk factors. Other threats listed by Microsoft include
> potential
> litigation, the fact that many of the company's newer products are
> unprofitable, and "General Economic and Geo-Political Risks."
>
> However, Microsoft has long criticized the economic underpinnings of the
> open-source movement.
>
> In the regulatory filing, Microsoft specifically calls out the threat that
> some government agencies may switch to open-source software.
> South Africa
> is promoting the concept, and Germany is
> paying
> companies to build equivalents to Microsoft's Outlook e-mail software and
> Exchange communications software.
>
> The pressure from the open-source movement is not just financial, as the
> availability of open-source software puts pressure on Microsoft to open up
> the
> code that underlies its own products.
>
> The company has already agreed to open its usually secret source code to the
> British government.
>
> News.com's Stephen Shankland contributed to this report.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)