Re: Full Screen Magnification for X Windows

Hi!
I'm not an X Programmer!

I think, "puff" uses the following aproach:
All Applications connect to a "transparent" X-server - The magnifying
program.
This Program then forwards them to the real X-Server.
The magnifying program could send an enlarged image to a second X server
running on an other terminal (or use an other method to display it). The
problem would probably be the keyboard and mouse input.

As I said - I'm not an X programmer!

Yours, Rudolf

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:28:40AM +0000, Kieran OSullivan wrote:
> I am writing an Xlib (written in c) based screen magnification program for X Windows called BlindPenguin (http://www.blindpenguin.org). I am posting to this group to get ideas on a technical issue with the program. The issue is this any X magnification program that I have seen draws the magnified area on a window I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. I want to write a program, which zooms in like a video camera on a particular part of the screen what will happen is that the magnified area of the screen will fill the entire screen, in simple terms the magnified area will be re-drawn with more pixels to fill the screen. However the X server and clients shouldn't care about this in-fact they shouldn't know. Basically there are 2 screens 1 is the screen that the X server creates and the other is the screen that the user sees. As I move the mouse around the X server moves it on the real screen but the user sees the magnified screen moving. To use the video camera analogy again imagine a pe!
rs!
> on walking around a room using the view finder of a video camera turned up to full zoom to see. Their coordinates would change relative to the objects in the room but they would see things much larger than they are.
>
> WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR I am looking for ideas or code that will help me do this. Also anyone who has knowledge of how programs like ZoomText or Lunar do this in Windows I would like to hear of it, I know that ZoomText doesn't work in X but the ideas may inspire me.
>
> THIS PROGRMA WILL BE RELEASED UNDER GPL

Rudolf Weeber
Mühlrain 9
70180 Stuttgart / Germany