LINUX AND ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Hi Michael!

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:42:41 -0000, Michael Weaver wrote:
> If I were to purchase a PC running only Linux, should I still have
> anti-virus software as I have heard that you don't get as many Virus attacks
> under Linux?

Yes, its right that there aren't many viruses for linux till now. But
depending on the services running on your linux-pc scanning for viruses
makes sence. I get very ofthen emailworms for example so I decided to
filter my mails for viruses, allthough the worms aren't dangeros on my
linux-pc. Also I have ofthen to send files that I got via mail to other
people. Maybe one of this files contains a virus..., if I don't scan
this files I could distribute a virus allthough I work under linux.

> If so which software is easy to install with speech and easy to operate for
> example when updating the Virus definitions?

I made good experiences with antivir and f-prot, both scanners work on
linuxsystems:

http://www.antivir.com
http://www.complex.is

Especialy antivir has a good autoupdating-function. A good interface to
scan incomming and outgoing emails is amavis, it works with sendmail and
postfix and f-prot or antivir can be used as virusscanners:

http://amavis.org

Ciao,
Schoeppi

--