Brailloterm 80

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Osvaldo La Rosa wrote:

> ... do recommend more to use a Debian instead, since
> that distro is more commandline minded so more
> "blindfriendly" in my opinion.

There is, in fact, very little difference in the major
distributions where the command line is concerned.  The
command line and shell utilities are essential to the
operation of all Unix like systems, including all linux
distros, so they will always be essentially the same in
that regard.

The exception to the above might be some distribution
specific system administration front ends, such as the
text based "yast" menu system that comes with the SuSE
distro (does Debian have something similar)?

The thing to keep in mind here, is that all system
configuration is actually done by text based
configuration files (mostly in /etc), and the front
ends just modify these.  In the years I have been on
this list, I cannot remember a single discussion about
building a more blind friendly front end for these, so
I assume that most present users prefer editing these
directly (usually faster anyway, once you know how).
Many of these config files are well commented anyway,
so that they are internally documented.  And there
exist standard command line front ends to many more
complex functions, like "chkconfig", "useradd" and
"usermod", also common to all distros.

The most important difference between distros that I
can think of is the software package management and
installation utilities, but they all have these, too,
adapted to the package format in use for that distro --
but there are projects underway to build tools that
handle all these somewhat similarly, too.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html