From: "L. C. Robinson" <lcr@onewest.net>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: Choosing a linux distribution

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Barry Murdoch wrote:

> I have been advised, at Linux.org, that Debian is
> perhaps too difficult to configure and use for a
> beginner.  SuSE, Mandrake, Red Hat and TurboLinux are
> recommended as easier.  What distribution would
> listers recommend I try, keeping in mind I would also
> like to try Speakup as the screen reviewer?

The advice of a previous poster to "try the
distribution for which you can get the most help" is
the generally accepted answer, but since you listed
some distros, some caveats are appropriate.  You should
stay with a mainstream distro.  TurboLinux is primarily
popular in Japan and some asian countries, and SuSE is
mostly popular in europe.  Neither have much market in
North America, so in that area they can be considered
minor distros.  The advice about Debian is probably
accurate, though things are improving with the United
Linux initiative, but that is not mature yet.  Mandrake
is kind of a more bleeding edge distro, originally
based on Red Hat, with the usual tradeoff with
stability, and the company is now also having financial
problems (but that is not unusual these days, even for
some well managed enterprises).

Let's see, what does that leave?  As you might have guessed
by now, I use Red Hat. <grin>

Also, the advice to use what you have help for applies
to local hands on the keyboard help, or something
similar.  If you don't already have someone who is
willing and able to give that kind of help, such could
be gotten from a local LUG (linux user's group): there
are websites that can help you find one in your local
area (they're everywhere).

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is award
winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds your data
hostage with "The *Lens*"; see "CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html