Re: UNINSTALLING LINUX PACKAGES

Lee -

As I understand it, Windows shared libraries are not versioned, in the
sense that you can only have one version of a given library installed
at a time.  If you have two programs that require different versions
of a library, then one of them will be broken.  In Linux, you can have
several versions of a library installed, and the loader will link each
program with the appropriate one.

Of course, a programmer can still make an incompatible change to a
library and neglect to update the version number, but at least the
system does provide the mechanisms to "do the right thing".

       - Jim Van Zandt