Re: charset problems in RH8 (Was: linux distribution for beginners(fwd)

I forwarded the bit about Red Hat 8.0 charset problems
(quoted below for reference) to someone I know that
runs Red Hat 8.0 (I haven't upgraded yet), and the
problem looks like a configuration problem with the
language related environmental variables.  On our RH7.3
system, the login shell sources some language specific
startup files in /etc/profile.d/lang.*, which in turn
depend on correct language related settings in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n: I assume that RH8 is similar.  An
examination of the settings that affect these, or
similar replacements, should fix things.  In
particular, for my case, LANG=en_US.iso885915

Here's the reply I got about my query from that
successful RH8.0 user:

   I noticed that on a fresh install of Red Hat, after I
   started using my previous .zshrc settings, my man
   page output was really screwed up. I set my
   LESSCHARSET= nothing (it had been latin1), and then
   it displayed things correctly.  Don't know what that
   was all about.

I'm guessing that in the absence of the LESSCHARSET
setting, "less" uses the $LANG setting -- yes, the
man page confirms this.

Newbies may need to know that "less" is a greatly
improved pager that fills the functions of the MS-DOS
"more", and is used to display output from many
programs, including the "man" documentation viewer.

Previous context below (edited):

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, John Heim wrote:
> I've been looking round since the introduction of RHL
> 8.0 because I dont like it. The bits I like least
> aren't going to bother a lot of people here, but one of
> the changes is the use of UTF.
>
> Now I'm sure that is the right direction, but at the
> moment there are some display problems with text output
> - I see it when reading man pages
> - and I imagine a few odd boxes where there should be
>   spaces will cause you people merry hell - it's bad
>   enough when you can actually see it.
>
> So, I suggest you give it a miss. A shame really as it
> includes tts stuff.

-- L. C. Robinson