Re: Linux distribution for beginners

Hello Walt,

There is no "real" difference between the Linux ditributions
with regard to the functionalities offered.

As far as I know, all Linux distributions allow you to run
the most common UNIX tools and servers. You can, therefore,
install graphical interfaces such as Gnome or KDE (which
both run over XWindows), have common productivity software
(word processing, email, spreadsheet, etc) as well as very
advanced software (Scientific DTP) and Internet server
software (email, web, FTP).

As a matter of fact, if your Linux distribution does not
offer all these programs, I recommend changing your distro!
<grin>

What IS different, though, are the way you are going to
configure, install, etc, all these different parts and
make sure the system is kept up-to-date and properly
configured.

Example: the configuration files for Red Hat and Slackware
are kept in slightly different directories. Red Hat (and
distributions derived from it) are going to offer graphical
programs for the configuration of the system, while systems
such as Slackware will tend to have text-based tools, which
may appear less powerful or user-friendly.

Hope this helps!

--

Gil Andre ___ Technical writer ___ Arkeia Corporation
email: gandre@arkeia.com | web: http://www.arkeia.com