Need mouse help

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me.  I'm trying to get X working so I can try
gnome 2.0 and the accessible software.

My problem at the moment is that Linux doesn't find my ps/2 mouse.  I am
running Slackware 8.1 under the 2.4.18 kernel.  I'm using a Dell 800 Hz
desktop.  I have tried the Slackware 8.1 Adaptec bootdisk (I need SCSI
disk access) and this disk will not find the mouse.  I have the Slackware 8.0
bootdisk (which uses the 2.2.19 kernel) and it finds the mouse just fine.
So it seems something has changed in the 2.4 kernel code.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help here.  TIA