Re: Producing Daisy Books

There are not now any open source tools either for reading or for
producing DAISY content with the sole exception that Emacspeak 16
includes some level of support for DAISY 3.0 (the ANSI Z39.86-2002). The
only content currently available in DAISY 3.0 comes from BookShare and
is text-only. Titles from RFB&D in the U.S., RNIB in the U.K., and from
libraries in Canada, Sweden, and Japan is now DAISY 2.02, so is not
supported by Emacspeak 16, either.

There was a meeting regarding this very issue following CSUN last year.
At this meeting I was tasked to chair a committee report to the DAISY
Board recommending that DAISY's next generation of user agents and
authoring tools use GPL/LGPL licensing, meaning that they would be open
source. The DAISY Board niether adopted nor rejected this
recommendation, and I believe the issue continues unresolved within the
DAISY Consortium. Regretfully, I am not attending their meeting later
this month in Korea.

However, nothing prevents any one of us, or any group of us, from
initiating a project to create open source tools for DAISY. I would
expect that creating user agents would be comparatively simpler, and
provide the tool most needed. One would need to control audio file
playback of .wav and .mpg, while displaying text at the same time. There
are more issues, of course, but this ese are the basics in simplest
terms. Synchronization is achieved through SMIL 1.0 in the case of DAISY
2.02 and SMIL 2.0 in the case of DAISY 3.0

Regretably, RFB&D has adopted a copyright scheme based on "security
through obscurity," so the unpacking agent would most likely need to be
binary only.

Good authoring tools are another subject altogether, though there are
certainly component applications that could be incorporated, such as
docbook.

I am happy to assist anyone wanting to look at taking this up to the
extent I can. One thing I can do is to send out several DAISY 2.02
titles that are not encrypted and which provide both text and audio. I
expect to have such content for DAISY 3.0 in a few months.

John J. Boyer writes:
> From: "John J. Boyer" <director@chpi.org>
>
> Hello, I am considering expanding our services to include Daisy books.
> They would have full text and also a voice. Is there software to do this
> in Linux? Is it open-source? What hardware is needed? How much does it
> cost?
> Thanks.
> John
>

> --