Re: Six-key Entry

[quoted lines by John J. Boyer on September 16, 2002, at 06:47]

Hi:

>Is there a Linux program which implements six-key entry, that is, uses the
>sdfjkl keys as a Braillewriter keyboard?

In Linux, although there are other ways to do it, this is typically done by
defining a key map. You then load whichever key map you want active at any
given time. Note, however, that, even with the right key map, it may still not
work as many keyboards don't allow more than three or so keys to be
simultaneously pressed.

>This will assist in our transcription work here and will
>eventually be part of my gnomebrl transcription project.

Gnome, which runs under X, will need to have this done differently. Although
the concept is roughly the same, the problem is that X, rather than the
application program itself, is reading the keyboard. In X, you need to use the
xmodmap facility.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com