Re: Shared Objects

On Thursday 12 September 2002 07:17, John J. Boyer wrote:

I'm assuming you are a programmer;-) If you're not, you will flounder on this.

object code is the compiled form of a program written in C, assembler or any
of many other languages.

A shared object library os a library of shared object code. glibc is supplied
as a set of shared object libraries (and also as equivalent non-shared object
libraries).

A shared-object library typically as ".so" at or near the end of its file
name. Here is are two examples:
/lib/i686/libm-2.2.5.so
/lib/i686/libm.so.6

They are created from source using "gcc --shared" (or equivalent for other
languages) or "ld --shared."

Source code to create a shared-object library is typically a collection of
functions and definitions of general utility. You do not ordinarily have a
main() function, though I suppose you could.

For more complete information, examine some likely packages from your Linux
distribution (glibc is probably a bit big for this task), read the relevant
man and info documents and any tutorial information you can find. I think
it's been covered in IBM's developerworks website.

> Hello,
> What is a shared object?
> how is it created?
> This is of considerable interest to me because the Braille module in
> Gnopernicus is a shared object library. It accepts things to be brailled
> in a Braille markup language which is a variant of XML. I wonder if
> something like this could be done with brltty also, so that it could be
> used by programs to generate output without having to display it on the
> screen. This would be very nice for my gnomebrl project. You can read
> about it at http://www.chpi.org/gnomebrl.html .
> John
>

> --
> Computers to Help People, Inc.
> http://www.chpi.org
> 825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.