Shared Objects

Hello,
What is a shared object?
how is it created?
This is of considerable interest to me because the Braille module in
Gnopernicus is a shared object library. It accepts things to be brailled
in a Braille markup language which is a variant of XML. I wonder if
something like this could be done with brltty also, so that it could be
used by programs to generate output without having to display it on the
screen. This would be very nice for my gnomebrl project. You can read
about it at http://www.chpi.org/gnomebrl.html .
John

--
Computers to Help People, Inc.