Re: Installing Debian Woody with BRLTTY

Nice job on the notes; just a few comments and questions.
1. It is important to point out that you must have a linux system
of some kind already up and running before you can do all this.
I don't myself have a website so I can't volunteer, but perhaps it
would be possible to put the modified root.bin and set of brltty disk
contents on a website. this is complicated a bit by the fact that, if I
understand correctly, there still must be a different brltty executable
for each brl driver if you are linking statically. I am sure some of
us, myself included, would volunteer to make and send brltty sets to
those needing them and not having access to a linux installation or
having difficulty doing their own.
It is my understanding that, though it is preferable to do floppy
images from linux, it is still possible to use the rawrite DOS program
for this. Can you also copy a tar.gz file from your DOS directory onto
a floppy?

2. it should be pointed out that one can use any flavor of the
root.bin and rescue.bin, not just the "bf" ones that were cited in the notes.

3. when I mount the root.bin, I use
mount root.bin -o loop
instead of
mount root /mnt -o loop=/dev/loop0
Perhaps there is a reason why sometimes the specific loop device  must be
specified. I would
like to know the reason for this.

4. to be more specific about the documentation for compiling brltty for
use statically, this is located in the brltty source package in
Bootdisks/README. Some of the instructions there, specifically the ones for
putting brltty on the rootdisk, do not work for debian, but the compile
instructions are
fine as written.

5. debian woody root.bin does include /dev/vcsa and /dev/vcsa0 so it
wouldn't be
necessary to have /dev in your tar file, though it doesn't hurt. also, nothing
from /lib/brltty is really necessary. It is possible, once you've done the
'make" simply to copy brltty from the package directory, the .hlp file for
your driver from the from the 'help"
directory (if needed) and your table from the BrailleTables directory into a
simple tree containing /sbin with the brltty executable under it, /etch witha
brltty directory containing your .hlp file and your table under it. Then you
would tar this tree. In a way,
this is more steps, but you don't have to actually do an "install" anywhere.

6. I am a bit puzzled about all the changes being made to inittab; I have
never found any of them necessary, which of course doesn't mean they might not
be in certain circumstances. What is the purpose here?

7. I am currently using the "testing" version of debian, and even in
testing
the brltty version is still 2.99.5, and the speech part of brltty, at least when
I tried using the debian package, wasn't implemented. so I would recommend to
people, once you are completely installed and ready to change from the temporary
brltty system you have installed to a permanent one, that you get the source
from
www.mielke.cc/brltty
and compile it on your machine. I found the debian config for it to be
justabout as complicated  (maybe a little more so) as compiling and installing
it myself. The one advantage I can see to using the debian package is that you
don't have to try to figure out where to put the commands to make brltty come up
at boot; as I recall, the debian package does that for you in some way.

8. Just a language pointer: the English word for what you are calling a
"brute" copy is actually "raw" when referring to a floppy image. what was
written is perfectly understandable,
but I am commenting on this just so you will know the proper terminology.

9.  just something I have wondered about. The debian documentation says to
use
bs=1024
when using the "dd" command to transfer the image to a floppy. the brltty
documentation talks about using
bs=512
Is there a reason for this difference?

It's obvious a lot of time and effort went into these notes; several of us
appreciate it greatly I am sure. Too bad it will be obsolete in future debian
releases.

Cheryl