Any other software synthesizer?

"Krishnakant Ramesh Mane" <krmane@rediffmail.com> writes:

> does any one know a software synthesizer that can be freely downloaded
> for linux?

Mbrola, Festival, Festival lite

> And if so does it work with speakup or jupiter audio system?

I don't know about Jupiter, but speakup can't be used with software
synthesizers right now.  That's mainly because speakup is part of the
kernel, and it isn't to easy/nice to call user-space applications from
within the kernel.  Speakup would infact need a a speech synthesizer
written as a kernel module.

> I know IBM outloud but I don't know weather it works with speakup.
No, it doesn't.  And if I gather the situation right, it's already
illegal to use IBM ViaVoice, the license ended somewhere around 2001.

> And does speakup support The GUI of linux with support to
> applications like ABI word etc.

No, speakup is just for the linux console, no X support.  It wouldn't
make much sense anyway to write a screen reader for X windows as a
kernel driver.

--
CYa,
  Mario