new to linux, need help

Hi This is Krishnakant Mane from India Mumbai.  I am not new to
programming but new to linux.  Eventually I am fedup of windows
and wan to switch to linux.  I am a totally blind person and have
heard that linux can be used with emacs speak and IBM outloude
software synthesizer.  Can some one help me on the issue please?
Firstly I want to know what actually does emacs do?  If emacs is a
text editor then how can linux be totally accessible to the blind
user?  and if emacs speach is a full fledge screan reader then why
is it only associated with emacs?  I mean I am confused on the
whole thing about emacs, emacs speach and linux. together.  I
visited the emacs speak homepage and found out that it supports a
whole set of applications and tools and even programming tools and
net surffing.  So again if emacs speak only works on emacs which I
understand is a text editor how can a blind person do so many
things with emacs speach on linux?
Please help me with these questions.
Thanks in advance.
Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs