reading windows help files on linux

I have a windows .hlp file which I need to examine. Needless to
say I don't run windows. Also my searches have not turned
up any useful filtering or conversion tools although
there were a few promising leads which eventually came to dead
ends.  The .hlp format seems to be a particularly obnoxious
compiled format which is not susceptible to the same brute force
control character stripping which works so well with Word.

Does anyone have an application which can convert the .hlp to
any other format?

Thank you,
Rudy