scanners

You cannot mix SCSI and parallel ports. There are adapters for one to the
other but that's not the way I would go. Being short on generic or USB
ports for modern USB scanners I suggest you buy one.

USB is becoming a dominant standard for computer to peripheral connections
and you'll be better of going that route. That way you won't need to buy
additional adapters to support your legact scanner when you upgrade the
computer in the future. Some scanners come with cheap SCSI adapter and are
able to work with SCSI and USB so you might want to look into that but
USB is the way to go.

USB adapter will let you connect other devices that are very common these
days, keyboard, mouse, radio, modems, and who knows what else. I believe
that equipment for visualy imparied will also connect with USB if it's not
already.

I'm surprized your PC doesn't have USB. Are you sure? Maybe you just need
a tiny cable with adapter to connect to a special connector on the
motherboard. If not then you can buy PCI USB adapter otherwise. Try to
avoid ISA bus. ISA bus reached dead end.

PC motherboards are very cheap these days. You can get a good one for less
than $100. That means it could be cheaper to upgrade your PC with a new
motherboard than buying different adapters for sound, USB, etc. Most
motherboards have sound, video, and USB built in.

As far as scanners go that's a different story. What you probably need is
a device that's able to scan books which is not that easy in some
cases. Thick heavy books might be a problem with some scanners. There are
other issues like software, etc. I'm sure but can't think of it right now.

Since I never bought a scanner I can't recommend you one. I see them being
used at work though. Scanners made by HP are a bit more expensive but
their hardware quality and support are most likely worth it. You'll need
somebody to setup the scanner so that you always put the printed material
on it for scanning the same way so that the software won't have hard time
reading it.

Good luck.

--
Rafael
      ***  Microsoft is to free computer use       ***