Screen Command vs. Virtual Consoles

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, John J. Boyer wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there any advantage of using the screen command over using virtual
> consoles? How do I increase the number of virtual consoles on my Redhat
> 7.1 system from 6 to 12?

You should have lines similar to the following in /etc/inittab:
5:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -f /etc/issue.ansi 38400 vc/5 linux
6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -f /etc/issue.ansi 38400 vc/6 linux

It would probably be sufficient to simply add more lines similar to these
but with the appropriate numbers, although I have never tried this.

> How does one paste between virtual consoles? I could use the cut-and-paste
> feature of BRLTTY, but it seems toi me that a similar feature should be
> available using virtual consoles.

I believe gpm allows one to do this with a mouse.  I am not sure that it
can be done with the keyboard.