linksys ethernet card to install

I used ethtool -i eth0 once I put the card in the machine.  I got the
netdrivers3.11-i386.rpm file and installed that and built it.  Now after a
system reboot when I do ethtool -i eth0 I get the tulip interface info and
a bus address for the ethernet card which matches what's shown by lspci.
I had to install an earlier version of roaring penguin since it has
adsl-setup.  I ran adsl-setup successfully and have the splitter and
filter and modem hooked to the wall outlet and modem and to power and the
computer's eth0 port.  adsl-start times out so I don't know where to go
from here.  The provider provides all dns addresses and netconfig only
allows for bootp (dhcp) as a connect method.  I'm using emacspeak and
terminal applications like netconfig and the like don't play well with it.
I don't know what addresses to provide netconfig in this situation either.
verizon doesn't support linux either though they do provide dsl service.
I could use 127.0.0.1.  The modem has all green lights so if I can get out
to it all should work.  netstat -i says it has an error and can't get
interface information.