smooth scrolling... braille output hardware (jf) (LONG)

This is quite interesting.  I've ccd John Roberts who is working on the
nist wheel so that he can enter this duscussion since they've put a
great deal of research into this.  I would also like to add that the
idea of horrizontal scrolling in a smooth way is not unappealing and I
understood it to be this instead of jumping from letter to letter.  What
you want to do is to simulate the finger as much as possible and for
that, you need to do a bit of research.  For instance, at some points
along a continuum, more examination is needed than at others which is
why it is hard to produce a scrolling effect that works reliably.  The
other part of this is that with the horrizontal scrolling, it is only
necessary to show the left, middle and right side in rapid succession or
at whatever rate the user needs.  I would recommend actually that the
character be devided up but that there be a deffinite break between
characters in the scroll so that this could help in character
deffinition.  On the vertical, I have had no experience but would find
it difficult to orient myself to such a scroll.