netrik was ( lynx-dev latest status on java script support? )

Martin, you need ncurses and readline.  They are probably called
libncurses and libreadline.  Debian places the headers in separate "devel"
packages, so you will also need to install libncurses-devel and
libreadline-devel.  (There may be version numbers after libncurses and
libreadline -- I'm not really sure)

As for the Makefile errors, it sounds as though the Makefiles may require
Gnu Make, which I don't think FreeBSD uses.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --