netrik was ( lynx-dev latest status on java script support? )

Martin, quick answer:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:33:17 -0600, Martin wrote:

> 	Now for the bad news, at least so far.  I have access to
> two different UNIX platforms.   One is Debian Linux and the other
> is FreeBSD.  The readme file with netrik says that it is designed
> to build on gnu linux systems.  One should just type make and it
> will go.
>
> 	Well, on the FreeBSD system, it complains about 2 lines
> in the makefile not having arguments that they need.

Try running netrik in the FreeBSD Linux-emulation mode.
If linux-emulation is properly configured on your system,
FreeBSD should be able to run any Linux program with
ease.

> 	That error I understand in that I am missing a library
> containing the files that are listed as missing.  The make file
> has an option to build on Solaris which is similar to FreeBSD so
> I tried that but with no luck either.  Make just complained about
> the same two lines needing arguments.

Solaris is actually *very* different from FreeBSD.
FreeBSD *is* BSD, while Solaris is much more system V.

Do not assume that Solaris = FreeBSD or you are in
for a lot of problems...

This being said all three BSD (NetBSD, OpenBSD and
FreeBSD) now have a Linux emulation mode. Again, I
believe this is the best answer to your problems.

You should check this web page for more information:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x24125.html

It's supposed to contain basic information on how to
run Linux binaries on a FreeBSD machine. As long as
you can compile netrik on your Debian machine, you
should be able to copy it to your FreeBSD machine
and run it from there.

Hope this helps!

--

Gil Andre          gandre@arkeia.com